Increase your child's academic and behavioral outcomes from his/her current school year
I provide advocacy services that support parents as they conscientiously work to improve the academic and behavioral performance of a child with special needs.
The current current school system is loaded with laws, forms, procedures, and policies which can be overwhelming. Parents need to be fully aware of: 1) their procedural safeguards; 2) the federal and state education codes; 3) the format for writing an effective Individual Education Program (IEP), and; 4) the tools to work cooperatively with special education staff members.
Every parent/guardian has the right to be the primary decision maker for their child’s educational program. No parent/guardian should be unclear about any component of their child’s education. In the words of Helen Keller,
Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much.
Benefits of a special education advocate
By working with me you'll get the following benefits:
- A personal, in-depth explanation of the special education policies, paperwork (such as IEPs), and practices so that you can concentrate on what matters most – your child.
- A thorough review of all past educational records, for compliance to federal and state laws, and to track appropriate educational advancement.
- One-on-one consultation to discuss findings and recommendations, as well as delivery of a written report.
- Faster and more effective access to district special ed administrators with authority to approve changes in your child’s best interest.
- Instructions on how to write formal letters of complaint and requests to special ed staff in your child’s school district.
- Classroom observations to collect data on your child’s educational environment.
- In-person support at IEP and other school meetings, ensuring parental rights are fully implemented.
- Additional negotiations that can help your child receive educational benefits without incurring costly legal fees.